My dog's hip keeps giving out.........what should I do?

Want to Give Free Dog My dog's hip keeps giving out.........what should I do?, My mom said is because she has been couped up in the house for the past week (hurricane ike). Our fence is down which is why she cannot go into ...

16-10-08, 13:30
  My dog's hip keeps giving out.........what should I do?
My mom said is because she has been couped up in the house for the past week (hurricane ike). Our fence is down which is why she cannot go into the back yard and walk around, its not her, its all the other loose dogs w/ no tags and collars were worried about.
We cannot take her to the vet because it got destroyed by the hurricane.
So for now we have been taking her for long walks 3x's per day to get her some fresh air and to let her go. When I walk her I notice she slips a lot on her back legs. We will just be walking and all of sudden her legs will give out. Could her not being able to walk around in the yard for the past week like shes used to be the reason why her hip keeps giving out? Is it really because shes couped up in the house or what?
What should I do to make her comfortable for now?
She is a 13 yr German Shepard. All the vets and I do mean ALL the vets within an hour from my house have been destroyed or they are not because they have no power. Obviously we are taking her to the vet as soon as one s but I am talking about for now. What can I do for her now?
thanks everyone. Turns out (contacted someone) she probably has arthritis and most likely hip dysplasia .
I gave her a crushed up bayer asprin and now she's going to sleep. Thanks everyone.

16-10-08, 14:12

You really need to see a vet. It could be hip displacia. Or it could be a sign of some other neurological issue. It almost certanly is not from being in the house for a week.

How old is your dog? What breed? Any previouos health issues? Has she had an injury recently that could explain this - possible to the back?

Bottom line is you can't diagnose this over the internet, she needs to be seen by a vet.

For now, I would restrict some of her exercise. If her hips are causing problems, long walks would probably aggrivate them. Also do not let her go up or down stairs. Stairs are very hard on a dogs back/hips so if she is having problems, block any stairs you have.
Good luck

I just saw your aditional info. Hip displacia is very common in German Sheppards. Also arthitis is possible as well due to age. Another possible could be a tumor of some sort.

Rest her until she is seen. A LOW dossage of aspirin can be given to her as well to help with the pain. Dose her as you would a baby.
16-10-08, 16:04

question, do you have tile/hardwood in your house? if so that may be the problem, it is difficult fo rdogs to walk on these types of surfaces for long periods of time because they cant get enough grip on the surface so its harder for them especially on their hips. If your dog is old her hips could be giving out naturally and the strain of being in the house is just adding to it. either way take her to the vet when you can and have them check.

Dont let her run around the house alot right now, kinda set her up on a little palet or her bed and make it so she doesnt have to go far to get her food and water and that should help some.
16-10-08, 16:04

Hip Dysplasia is very common in German Shepherds especially one who's 13. Find a vet, that's most important, also give Glucosamine tablets, they help a lot and aren't very expensive. They vet may prescribe prescription strength anti-inflammatory drugs but I doubt they'll want to do a surgery on a dog that old. That's pretty much it in a nutshell...good luck, and try to find a vet.
16-10-08, 17:22

http://www.total-german-shepherd.com/hipdysplasia.html
16-10-08, 18:10

go to another vet or find an animal hospital obviously the vet you went to doesn't know anything about dogs. i would find a vet or hospital even if it means going out of town.
16-10-08, 18:20

I am sorry to hear what's going on = (, my prayers are with you.

As for your dog, maybe you should try walking her less, she might be strained from what happened and she may be having health problems (hip displaysia, maybe?). You should let her rest until you are able to contact a vet, because from what you are saying it sounds like she really needs a doctor. Hope she comes out fine.

Tags
dog, giving, hip, outwhat

somebody is giving my dogs rat poison. 2 died 1 is very sick.police cant help LISA V Want to Give Free Dog 0 10-10-08 21:36
102 facts about dogs!! pretty cool? Kutay Cat & Dog 0 30-09-08 13:40
Why so many people have dogs? Kutay Cat & Dog 0 30-09-08 04:30
Why so many people have dogs? Kutay Cat & Dog 0 30-09-08 04:03
How Long do Dogs stay with their Puppies after giving Birth?is the Father part PumpkinPie4U Want to Give Free Dog 0 12-09-08 22:58