Pet in pain broken jaw wont eat or drink help?

Share & Chat Pet in pain broken jaw wont eat or drink help?, I have a 2 year old chihuahua mix, he ran away from home and he got hit by a car...3 days later he came home limping and crying...I immediately took ...

03-11-08, 09:23
  Pet in pain broken jaw wont eat or drink help?
I have a 2 year old chihuahua mix, he ran away from home and he got hit by a car...3 days later he came home limping and crying...I immediately took him to the vet got him x_rayed and checked up, turns out his jaw is broken in the front and fractured towards the back, they said I had the option of having surgery on him for about 2,000 ( thats ontop of the $1,000+) im already paying for all his stuff not including the surgery...I cant afford it, my parents can either...the vet said hes a young enough dog that it can heal easily and that the even though his jaw is broken the jaw bones are still fairly alligned so he will befine with out a surgery just a lil crooked jaw... my questions are....

Hes not eating at all...or drinking anything what can i do? hes not allowed to chew anything so what ever he eats has to be fluids...

And his toung is always just hanging out now..is it normal?

Hes not barking and he dosnt want to his mouth im guessing thats because of the pain, but how do I get him to eat...im worried....

The vet gave us some AD pet food....its disgusting and smells horrible! hes not going to eat that....

He is on morphine and an opiate patch and he was under anesthesia all day yesterday and iv, might that have something to do with his appetite?

will he be okay? how long can he go with out eating or drinking something?....

were going back to the vet on Monday...

Thank you sorry my Q is SOOOOOOO long
Yea i KNOW this is the dog section....it is a dog im talking about duh! Lol. any way thanx to everyone...He was at the vet all day yesterday hooked up to iv and under anesthetics and hes on morphine and opiates....the vet says for the type of fracture/break that it will heal with out the surgery and he will be fine..im going to keep trying the AD tomorrow and the next day again...I also heard about blended chicken liver & Broth i think i will try that too....hes probably still feeling all juky from the anesthesia and iv...he drank a little bit of water now...only about 6-7 slurps, but its a start
Im not ignoring the issue, my vet said that it is perfectly fine if we dont do the operation because he is such a young dog and they type of breakage in the bone and alignment makes it perfectly possible for him to heal fast and easy... HE is doing so much better now, he is eating and drinking and walking around now....i have an appointment with the vet tomorrow morning

Tags
broken, drink, eat, jaw, pain, pet

My cat wont drink its water...? Brittany Cats 0 25-10-08 12:23
Sudden horrific, dibilitating pain.? Kutay Cat & Dog 0 25-09-08 21:24
My cat wont drink its water...? Kutay Cat & Dog 0 25-09-08 08:30
My cat wont drink its water...? Kutay Cat & Dog 0 25-09-08 08:10
My pet dog is in great pain? Niel S Share & Chat 0 24-08-08 16:46