Should a male dog mate with his mom?

Looking for a Mate My Dog Should a male dog mate with his mom?, I have a 2 year old male and a 4 year old female-he is from her first litter but he never mated with her, Should they mate, if not what ...

19-03-11, 00:20
  Should a male dog mate with his mom?
I have a 2 year old male and a 4 year old female-he is from her first litter but he never mated with her, Should they mate, if not what should i do to stop them-separating them would be hard.
@ the first answer-they already tried but she wasn't in heat

i would like to know if the pups could likely have any genetic disabilities.

19-03-11, 00:22

Would you mate with your mom? or cousin? or sister ...

It's as weird for dogs as it is for humans. Not kidding.
19-03-11, 00:27

No they shouldn't mate. Especially since you obviously have NO idea what you're doing if you think it would be THAT hard to keep them separated. It isn't that difficult.
19-03-11, 00:30

NO! it probably will cause some genetic disablilities because just like in humans, breeding within your own blood pool will cause bad traits to become more prominent. and even if it doesn't...just please don't do it. seriously...that's just unnatural and creepy.

to keep them from mating, even though that shouldn't happen, you should probably neuter your puppy..
19-03-11, 00:56

you should never ever mate animals that are that closely related.
for the same reason that humans don't have children with their parents, siblings or close relatives.
it increases the chance of genetic disease

most genetic diseases are recessive meaning that, if you don't know, that it would take two of the genes to mix to have the disease to become apparent. so if a dog with the gene and one with out it at all mated the pups would carry the gene but not express the disease (they would be more than likely healthy) but if two dogs who both had the gene (weather they expressed it or not) mated there is a good chance that the pups would have and express the disease.
because animals who are related (mother and offspring) share many similar genes if there are any undesirable recessive genes there is a very likely chance of it being expressed.
if you want to mate you dog find another that is not related to yours.

that is why golden retrievers in general have so many health issues. so many people wanted them that in-breeding happened and the genes that should be rarely expressed are common in that breed. they took a good dog and turned it into a s*** breed as my grandfather puts it.
19-03-11, 01:01

Absolutely not! If separating them is going to be hard - NEUTER THEM!!! In any case, if your b itch is now 4, and has had a litter already, it's time to retire her, and get her spayed.

Add I wasn't going to get into the pros and cons of this, but as somebody has brought this up - although yes, this would be line-breeding, son to mother, as with father to daughter and sister to brother, even half-sister to half brother, is the most extreme form of line-breeding, and yes, it is in-breeding. The Kennel Club in the UK is now refusing to accept registration of litters from inbreeding because it has been abused in the past, often with disastrous results if done by novices. It was occasionally done, but only by those who absolutely knew what they were doing (very few!!), and had a direct knowledge of the common animals in the pedigree.

Add 2 - The puppies will have a double dose of every fault that both parents have - plus any in the common grandparents, g.grandparents and so on. They may not have 'two heads', but as all animals have faults, you are most likely to see these faults, in their puppies. It's highly unlikely they would have tied, if she wasn't in heat - most b itches would take the head off any male who tried to mate with them. You may not have seen any discharge, however, if she was having a silent season. Get her straight to your vet for an emergency spay!!!
01-04-11, 19:27

They wont try to mate
01-04-11, 19:27

DEFINITELY NOT, If you do that then recessive genes hiding diseases will appear in the offspring, if there are 9 pups most likely 6 will die from the recessive disease but the 3 alive will have extreme immunity as adults and will be gorgeous dogs-but it is too much of a price to pay.

Sacrificing 80% of the litter for a few good ones is as heartless as it gets, so no do not mate them EVER, if you dont wish to/cant afford to have them fixed them separate them when she is in heat until her 2 weeks pass then u'll be good for another 6 months.

There is an anti-mating spray available online that is supposed to be non-toxic and simply spray it on the female's back and he should not mate with her.

Hope this helps.

If you are not a licensed breeder then spay/neuter your pets PLEASE!
01-04-11, 19:28

It's... /technically/ inbreeding if you think about it. /: And I-- and lots of others-- are against that.

I mean... if you're really worried about it you could -ahem- get them fixed? xDD;

Tags
dog, male, mate, mom

Both male/female cats fixed, yet male still wants to mate? Oohh la la Looking for a Mate My Cat 0 25-02-11 21:51
Why does my neutered 1 yr old male cat try to mate with my 6 week old male kitten? Christy T Looking for a Mate My Cat 0 17-12-10 06:32
how to mate a female labrador dog?she is not allowing the male to mate her? Sylvester Looking for a Mate My Dog 1 10-03-10 02:21
how can you manualy get a male to mate with a female that is ready to mate both the ladyraw Looking for a Mate My Dog 4 11-12-09 19:25
My older male cat is trying to ummm well mate with my other male cat what can i do? I marky Looking for a Mate My Cat 0 22-04-09 00:11