My dog's vomit looks and smells like poop?

Dogs My dog's vomit looks and smells like poop?, She's 11 months old. For the last 3 days she's been throwing up just in the mornings. The vomit is brown and smells like poop. I'm pretty positive that's what ...

10-08-08, 12:12
  My dog's vomit looks and smells like poop?
She's 11 months old. For the last 3 days she's been throwing up just in the mornings. The vomit is brown and smells like poop. I'm pretty positive that's what it is. She stays in her crate overnight. Could she be going potty in there and then eating it or something? Yuck! She eats and plays just like normal, and she still goes poop outside everyday, so I don't think it would be a bowel obstruction. And she can't get into the catbox and be eating anything out of there. Anyone have any ideas? I have an appointment with the vet, but she can't get in until tomorrow.

10-08-08, 17:18

lol, yes every dog owner goes through this.... and you're right it is exactly what it is.

ask your vet for some "for bid" its a little packet of powder that you sprinkle on their food (supposed to make their poop not so tasty)

however if your dog is eating someone else's poop (ie: the cat or other aniimals that come into your yard) then you just have to teach your pup a command such as "leave it" when you see her eating something she's not supposed to.

good luck!
10-08-08, 22:35

Hey!!!!!!!
This is not Yuck! This can be bloody serious!!!!
If the vomit smells like poop, there is a good chance of intestinal blockage. (which can kill!!!!)
11-08-08, 05:47

If you're not watching her outside, she might be eating other poop. Some dogs are just like that. Try getting a smaller crate where she won't want to poop. With any luck, she'll outgrow this.
11-08-08, 12:18

that is definatly what it is. i have a yellow lab, and she used to do that when she was younger, but if you have a smaller cage where they can move, but not too much. they wont poop at all, because they dont like to be so close to it once it is out. my dogs cage has a divider that we put in to teach her not to poop in her cage. now he ever poops unless her has table food before she goes to bed.
13-08-08, 10:25

If you do lock up her crate during nights, chances are she's into pica eating. This is a pretty normal behavior as far as they are concerned and is most likely a ploy to catch your attention. If de-worming is not done on time also, they may be tempted to do it. There are certain products in the market which will help you wean away this habit. I had to spray lemon juice on my dog's poop [she is allergic to lemons] to make her drop this habit.

Tags
dog, poop, smells, vomit