my dog is a good dog, but he will scratch at a door until he ruins it! how to...

Dogs my dog is a good dog, but he will scratch at a door until he ruins it! how to..., ...stop this? my bedroom door frame has all the paint chipped off along with the wood work and the door has scratches all over it. the door that leads to ...

15-08-08, 01:43
  my dog is a good dog, but he will scratch at a door until he ruins it! how to...
...stop this? my bedroom door frame has all the paint chipped off along with the wood work and the door has scratches all over it. the door that leads to the garage is torn up along with the wall along side it, the paint is gone and the drywall now has gages in it! he gets so upset when you leave he will do this or when i am sleeping in my bedroom and he wants to come in there. i dont want to resort to keeping him in his crate when i go out or go to bed, any other ideas?

15-08-08, 05:24

Your going to have to buy him either some dog shoes so his
nails dont damage the wood or get some protective plexy
or heavy plastic you can trim out the door and walls he is
scratching up with a plastic kickplate to protect the areas
he is able to paw at. once installed he wont know his
scratching is no longer damaging the wall and wood door
frames and then when he is gone you can just unscrew
the plastic plexiglass kick plates where he use too to dig
the heck out of the wall board and leave your claw marks
he will have been thwarted in his damaging efforts and your walls will less marred than if you just allowed him to dig his way thru the wood facing. cheers just short of strapping
a electric deterent colar on the bad pooch and short circuit
his azzettes when he starts his claw action. zappppped
cheers
15-08-08, 19:35

put him in a crate when you cant watch him
15-08-08, 22:06

Sounds like he has a healthy case of separation anxiety. You're going to have to help him understand that a closed door doesn't mean you're abandoning him and that you will be back. The way the Dog Whisperer contended with a case like yours was pretty simple. First, you put him in a room by himself for five minutes. Don't speak to him or acknowledge his presence in any way. When the five minutes are up, the door, let him out, praise him and give him a treat if you like. Do this each week (or at least every few days) gradually increasing the time he spends alone by five minutes in that room. This will help him associate his good behavior while in that room with a reward (like praise or a treat). As long as he knows he'll be getting something good out of the whole experience and that you are indeed coming back for him, he'll be good to go. Hope this helps.

P.S if he barks of misbehaves as he is now, let him out after his timeout's over anyway. Just don't give him any praise or treats and of course don't fuss at or punish him either. It will take time but he'll make the connection in due course. Remember praise good behavior and ignore the bad behavior.
16-08-08, 20:50

i was thinking, crate...kennel...

you can't control what your dog does when your not there without patient persistent training...

closing the door - waiting for your dog's response, then telling him No!...waiting a few minutes - or moments...coming back in...and Good Dog!....

over and over...for longer periods of time......unfortunately, your dog has separation anxiety, and I think he'd just resort to another form of anxiety if he wasn't able to get to the door...

Try the training....practice patience!

Good Luck!
18-08-08, 11:08
BBA

I got a apple sour spray and everytime my dog do something bad I spray that on his mounth and put him on his crade.
It's working and he stop eating everything around the house. try it.
19-08-08, 17:50

it's pretty simple, get a dogie door my friends have almost a cage made out of fence for their puppy Shcnoodle named Lola, they put linoleum on the bottom of it so if she has an accident it won't ruin the floor. good luck!

Tags
dog, door, good, ruins, scratch

Is Nutro Ultra a good brand of dog food? List pro's and con's please!!!? Soon2bBride Dog Nutrition & Food 6 11-01-11 12:05
Do tree frogs make good pets? heyheychris10 Share & Chat 1 14-08-08 13:11
Can cat scratch fever affect adults? Kinkatia Cats 2 11-08-08 02:56
I've heard good and bad about Eukanuba dog food. My vet and breeders vet like it.... evlma Dog Nutrition & Food 4 08-08-08 16:39
Is Dog Grooming earn a good living?? Nannyjess24 Dog Grooming 0 08-08-08 11:58