Why is my Boston Terrier puppy peeing in her crate?

Dog Breeds Why is my Boston Terrier puppy peeing in her crate?, My Boston Terrier puppy is doing great with the house breaking. When she is outside she knows exactly what she's supposed to do. She has very few accidents when let ...

23-01-11, 03:33
  Why is my Boston Terrier puppy peeing in her crate?
My Boston Terrier puppy is doing great with the house breaking. When she is outside she knows exactly what she's supposed to do. She has very few accidents when let her out of her crate to play. The only problem we've been having is her peeing inside the crate. When we leave her in there to go shopping for an hour and a half, we usually come home to find her blankie wet with pee. Sometimes she doesn't pee, but most of the time she does. Today we bought an even smaller crate for her just in case the one we had was too big. She's only ten weeks old by the way. Why is she doing this and How do I stop it?

23-01-11, 03:33

She can only hold her potty, be alone for two hours at the most at this age, set a timer or alarm and take her out to potty. The bladder is not grown until 6-months-old. I use a crate* to potty train with, but only for potty training and then I break it down and store it. I put blankets and a small food and water dish in the crate. Dogs don't potty where they eat and sleep. When they are first little, I only expect them to hold their potty for 4 hours, and then 6 hours, then 8 hours and so on. So when they are first little, I set a timer or alarm clock to wake myself up at night to take them *out. I only allow my puppy in the bedroom* or the living room, only one room at a time. They have to graduate to more space. If I allow them to have full run of the house, it will overwhelm them. I take them out the same door each time. I tie a dinner bell to the door handle. Do not use a jingle bell as they could get their toe caught in it. So when they are little, I ring the bell for them, and then the door to go *outside to potty. When they get bigger, I take their paw and whack the bell and the door to go potty. Eventually getting to the place where the puppy will ring the bell and let me know when they need to go potty. Dogs want to please you, so it is your job to let them know what behaviors please you and what doesn't. So when my puppy goes potty, I give her a treat*, and clap, and make a fuss and praise her. So she learns that going potty outside makes me happy. If she has an accident, make a disgust sound like “tsst” and take her out right away. I never yell* or spank* my puppies. Take them out when they first wake up, after they eat or drink, before nap, finish romping, when their activities change, or when they are sniffing around. Some puppies go pee right away, but may not go poop until 10 minutes later, so wait for the poop. I have a little play time here, because sometimes I think they are done, and they are not. Puppies train at their own pace. While I may have a puppy that hasn't had an accident in several weeks, I don't let my guard down, the bladder is not grown until 6-months-old and they are not fully potty trained until 1-year old. If they have a setback, shake it off, and start over. I only have my puppies in the crate when I am not watching them. When I am sleeping, cooking, ironing, doing chores, basically when I am not watching her. All other times, she is out of the crate practicing being a "big girl." This is the time I train her how to behave in the house. So we are practicing "no barking", 'no biting", "no jumping", and "don't eat the furniture." I also have to practice "playing inside" so she doesn't knock over things. You must keep the puppy in sight when they are little because they don’t know the difference between newspaper and carpet, and you don’t want them sneaking off and getting into trouble.
REVISIONS:
*I use a CRATE to train with. It is the method I prefer, compared to other methods I have tried. I noticed that if they are in the crate, while I am doing chores, they are o.k., because the crate allows them to see me and be re-assured. The crate can also be a comfort when stored in the basement for dogs who live in areas where thunderstorms and tornados are an issue. . However, use the method that works best for you.....a laundry basket, a cardboard box, a woof-woof house, x-pen, child gates, whatever works for you.
*OUTSIDE, pee pad, litter box, whichever method you are using.
*BEDROOMS, I use the bedroom and living room for training, because it works for me. Choose rooms that work for you, but watch for rooms that are damp, or drafty. They don’t have to sleep in the bedroom forever, just while they are training.
*TREATS. I like Charlee Bears for training (a little cracker for a little mouth,) but once they are trained, I cut back on them.
*SOME PUPPIES have to be told to go potty. A command like "go out" for pee, or "go finish" for poop, might work for you, keep saying “go finish” until the puppy poops. By using commands, the puppy won't get confused when you are visiting someone, on vacation with you, or when you get to a new home. The command will tell them what you want them to do in an unfamiliar place.
*YELLING. It is not a good idea to "yell" or "spank" your puppy and then take them outside when they have an accident. In your mind you taught potty training, in the puppies mind, it got scolded and put outside, so outside becomes the place it never wants to go, in the puppies mind.
23-01-11, 03:34

Why is she doing this? BECAUSE SHE'S 10 WEEKS OLD!!

You CANNOT EXPECT a dog to be completely potty trained all by themselves at 10 weeks.

She's a small dog, she can't hold her bladder long. Again, she's 10 WEEKS! Get used to it for the next few weeks. Crate do some with dividers, you know.
23-01-11, 04:03

The crate is too large.
23-01-11, 04:19

I'm thinking your crate is to big... If a crate is to big a dog will poop or pee at the far end. I'd get a smaller crate.
23-01-11, 04:34

crate to big
in to long
23-01-11, 04:35

Well I don't think she is being left in her crate too long. She could be doing this because she thinks you left her and she is trying to get your attention. Some dogs suffer from anxiety, but she is only ten weeks old so that wouldn't be right. You may have to enforce some house breaking rules and show her wait she did was bad and immediately take her outside.

Tags
boston, crate, peeing, puppy, terrier

what size dog crate do I need for a boston terrier? JEM Dog Breeds 0 11-11-09 08:52
We have two crate trained dogs. The boston terrier, is 10 months, and we come... Right Ting! Dog Breeds 0 07-05-09 14:56
How do you house train and Crate train a boston terrier puppy? ErikaExtacy Dog Breeds 0 31-03-09 13:01
How can i stop my 9m boston terrier from peeing in her crate? shebachi25 Dog Breeds 0 20-10-08 07:20
How can i stop my 9m boston terrier from peeing in her crate? Kutay Cat & Dog 0 19-09-08 18:30