Why does my Chihuahua run away from me and wont let me get near.?

Dog Breeds Why does my Chihuahua run away from me and wont let me get near.?, I have a male Chihuahua that always runs away from me. He won't let me pick him up play with me, or pet him. I have tried laying on the ...

26-08-08, 20:15
  Why does my Chihuahua run away from me and wont let me get near.?
I have a male Chihuahua that always runs away from me. He won't let me pick him up play with me, or pet him. I have tried laying on the floor with him and he'll come to me but then gets scared and runs away. I have always given him positive reinforcement and never hit him. He is not "playing" when he runs. I can tell that he feels timid. I tried bribing with treats, I even hand feed him f(or 3 weeks now) and say good boy when he eats out of my hand. When I do get him, he is very relaxed and licks my nose and rolls on his back into a submissive position and is very loving...but I have to get him when he is sleepy. He sometimes stands just out of reach and if I stretch slowly while I am on the floor or sitting on the couch, he'll let my fingers just barely touch him, but then walks 3 or 4 steps away and wont come back. He'll even whimper like he wants attention but then as soon as I try, he runs.
To clarify: He never growls, he never bites, I have introduced him to many loving people and dogs to socialize him. He wasn't abused. He was adopted from a foster home where he was loved. I have had him only a month. He is 8 months old. He also is playful on the floor in front of me.

02-01-09, 10:11

did you just get him/her?
was he abused? usually they do that when they are.
18-02-09, 06:07
2hi

My dog was like that when I got him from the pound. From the cage, he wanted love, but when we ed it, he got scared. The more I tried, the more he ran. So I ignored him. I left him food as usual but did things in front of him that would seem fun to him, like he wasn't there. Bounce a ball to myself, sing a song kinda loud (heard dogs like people singing, makes them calm) and leave the house with his leash and not him. After about a month, he'd be on the receiving end of that ball.... Weaving between my legs while I was talking (cuz of the singing) and he finally wanted to see where the leash was going. But then each of those steps has to go slowly. He may not want to return the ball at first, it may be more fun to "take it from you" let him learn to fetch or whatever, try not to TEACH it as much, if he's the timid type. He'll get used to you, had my lab for 13 years now.

Tags
chihuahua, run