Bladder stone in my male Pomeranian?

Dog Breeds Bladder stone in my male Pomeranian?, This is the 2nd time he has gotten one. The vet wants to do surgery for a 2nd time. Is this the only option? We tried feeding him a special ...

26-02-11, 06:12
  Bladder stone in my male Pomeranian?
This is the 2nd time he has gotten one. The vet wants to do surgery for a 2nd time. Is this the only option? We tried feeding him a special food to try to dissolve it but he wouldn't touch it.

26-02-11, 06:12

Apart from the fact that only one of the two types of stones will dissolve, if he's not going to eat the special diet, surgery is probably your best option to be honest. But only your vet can properly advise you. Don't be too worried if you do have to go for surgery much as obviously it means a g/a and a recovery period. You might try to persist with the special diet however perhaps mixing it with a very little of his normal food. But as this has happened again, you will need to get him onto a preventative diet. Something in his system has caused this to happen again.

Whatever, don't just leave it because if the stone gets big enough, it will block him up (urinary tract) completely, which is obviously life-threatening.
26-02-11, 06:16

my border collie had a bladder stone removed almost 3 yrs ago and so far she has been ok. i did not change her diet but she does eat the same food at supper time that i cook for hubby and me every day along with a slice of meat in the am and dry food in the dish all the time along with fresh water.i have had her urine checked and i also watch to make sure she pees and does not strain or have any blood in the urine when i walk her.her stone was the size of a boiled egg and i was amazed how big it was and i tried the food the vet recommemded but she refused to eat it and with 3 other dogs she wanted what they ate. i would have the stone removed again and ask ur vet if there is anything that u can give ur pooch to prevent it from coming back. the stones take time to get large and they don't grow overnight so u might even check out natural home remedies and see what they reccommend to keep the stone away. good luck
26-02-11, 06:16

Removing this stone is your best option. However, you NEED to change his diet or he's just going to keep getting stones and you can't keep doing surgery over and over and over again. If he wouldn't eat the first food, ask your vet about other options. There is more than one diet out there for managing kidney stones. Also, you may need to let him go hungry for a while in order to get him to switch. A healthy dog will not starve themselves if there is food available. They may hold out for a long time hoping you'll give in and give them something better, but eventually they WILL eat whatever food is available to them.
26-02-11, 06:17

Dalmatians suffer from bladder stones because the produce a lot of uric acid. Perhaps Pomeranians do this too. I have just Goggled "Dalmatians/bladder stones and there is lots of advice on diets. There are also companies who sell herbal tablets for dogs, phone them and speak to an adviser.

Tags
bladder, male, pomeranian, stone

Cat bladder stone surgery? Emily J Cats 2 07-12-13 08:55
My cat has a bladder stone and pees everywhere,advice needed? Rebecca Cats 0 28-04-09 13:19
my cat has been spraying since he had a bladder stone surgery and hes fixed? Nichole G Cats 0 05-01-09 16:16
my cat has been spraying since he had a bladder stone surgery and hes Kutay Cat & Dog 0 04-12-08 16:31
Cat bladder stone surgery? Emily J Cats 0 14-07-08 11:32