Were my cats nuetered and given rabies vaccinations too young?

Cats Were my cats nuetered and given rabies vaccinations too young?, I just adopted two kittens, one is 14 weeks and one is 10 weeks. The shelter I adopted them from said one was neutered and vaccinated at 10 weeks old ...

17-08-08, 19:56
par
  Were my cats nuetered and given rabies vaccinations too young?
I just adopted two kittens, one is 14 weeks and one is 10 weeks. The shelter I adopted them from said one was neutered and vaccinated at 10 weeks old and the other one was neutered and vaccinated when he was 9 weeks old. I just took them both to the vet, even though I haven't even had them a week yet.

They have upper respiratory infections. The shelter also failed to tell me the younger one was sick and said his sneezing and runny eyes were do to stress. They told me to wait to take him to the vet and then I had to work so my poor kitten was pretty sick by the time I could get him to the vet. The younger one is barely two pounds, so I imagine he was less than that a two weeks ago.

Should they have been vaccinated and fixed so young? Do you think the shelter is not treating these cats properly? If yes, is there someone or some organization I should contact?
I'm not blaming the shelter for them getting sick, I'm blaming them for telling me he wasn't sick when he was. He was sneezing when I got him and his eyes were cloudy. They told me he didn't need to go to the vet unless it got worse. They told me he was healthy . They didn't tell me to seperate them just in case one was sick, and now they are both ill. They are the experts and they should known and the poor kittens could have avoided the suffering. They also advised me NOT to insure the cats until they were older. Now I'm stuck with a $250 vet bill when the insurance I wanted to get them would have covered these costs completely.

I've always adopted animals from other shelters and have never had any problems..
They told me both kittens had rabies vaccinations. So they either lied to me and charged me for the cost of the shots, or vaccinated too young.

18-08-08, 01:03

Cats can be neutered and spayed as young as 8 weeks, as long as they are in good health at time of surgery Are you sure the shots that were given included rabies?
And not just distemper? In the state of Maryland (where I work)all pets are required by law to be rabies vaccinated by the age of 16 weeks (4months) usually given somewhere between 12-16weeks. Given that they came from a shelter situation it is fairly common to have contracted an upper respiratory infection along the way. As long as the kitties are eating and drinking and doing normal kitten things there no need to hit the panic button. If the snotty nose and runny eyes seem green or yellow in color then there is a secondary infection that may need to be treated with antibiotics. And keep in mind that it could take a week or two to resolve.

Tags
cats, nuetered, rabies, vaccinations, young