My cat is about 14 years old and has been healthy and active (coming to the door to say hi when I get home, eating, littering, etc.) up until about 9 days ago. I knew something was odd that day because he didn't greet me at the door and has been gradually going downhill ever since.
As far as visible conditions, I've noticed his cheek on his right side is a little swollen and his right eye's third eyelid is entering his vision.
I've taken him to the vet 3 times already. Vet thinks it may be an infected tooth, but teeth show no real signs of infection other than swollen cheek. Blood-work came back showing some signs of trauma. He's an indoor cat and as far as I know nothing traumatic has happened to him, he doesn't like heights and nothing heavy has been out of place (nothing's fallen on him to my knowledge). I don't think he ate anything he wasn't supposed to, but if something has poisoned him, I'd think it'd be detectable. So I don't know.
He acts like he's given up. Won't eat, won't drink, won't even move!
I do have a syringe, should I start giving him water manually? If so, how much should I give him?
Any clues as to what might be causing the swelling and/or his lack of motivation is greatly appreciated.
I forgot to mention, he is on an antibacterial to work on any infection. I'm just super worried about his lack of motivation. I got some warm water and gave him about a teaspoon with the syringe. He didn't like it, but at least he drank most of it. And the only meaty babyfood I could find had cornstarch in it. I read it sticks to teeth. Avoid it? or worth a shot?