Interaction between a year old cat and a 6 week old kitten?

Cats Interaction between a year old cat and a 6 week old kitten?, Hi there, We have a year old cat called Friday. She is very small and quite feisty... My husband and i decided to bring a kitten into the family, but ...

14-07-08, 14:31
Jen
  Interaction between a year old cat and a 6 week old kitten?
Hi there,
We have a year old cat called Friday. She is very small and quite feisty... My husband and i decided to bring a kitten into the family, but Friday really isn't being nice! She hisses and growls and runs away from Ember (the kitten). Ember isn't at all fazed and has been more than happy to play and interact with us.
It has only been a day and a bit, but does anyone have any experience of this kind? What happened in the end?
My husband and i have given Friday lots and lots of praise so that she doesn't feel rejected, and decided that if Friday really wasn't happy that we would take Ember back to the rescue center.
Will they learn to tolerate each other?!!

Thanks

14-07-08, 14:33

Hi, we recently adopted two 8 week old kittens and have an adult cat at home (5 years old). I did a lot of reading before bringing the kittens home but I still wasnt sure how it would go. Everyone suggested keeping the new kitten in a room away from the resident cat at first and then slowly bringing them out to meet where the new kitty was in a cat carrier or a play pin of some kind, so the cats can spell each other and look at each other. You are supposed to do this till the hissing and swatting stops. Some story's claimed it could take up to a month. I was prepared for a long wait, however it only took about 4 days and then we just let them come out together. All is fine. We still keep the kitten's in the Kitty room at night and some times during the day.. just to give the adult cat some quite normal time. Its been about 2 1/2 weeks now and I think the adult cat (and the kittens) actually miss each other when they are separated. Hang in there, If you can at least give it 3 weeks before throwing in the towel. Talk to the rescue group and see if that would be O.K. Cat's that are only a year old are still very tolerant. I am sure Friday will come around to Ember soon! Good Luck! Once they get along.. believe me its worth it!
14-07-08, 14:33
Short answer: YES THEY WILL!

As an owner of many cats over the years you are now the spectators in Friday's territory struggle. But older cats almost never hurt kittens in spite of their fuzzy tails and hullabaloo over them.

Make sure Ember has her own dish and water dish and also, if possible, get her her own litter box. Since they are both females (I think because of the names) they will end up as friends, tho maybe not best of friends. Give them a week or two and Friday won't remember why she didn't like Ember any more!

Good luck and thanks for taking in a shelter kitty!

Tags
cat, interaction, kitten, week, year

3 year old bit by dog? JENNAH J Dogs 6 14-07-08 14:05
My Cats water broke and still theirs no sign off a kitten..its been 2 hours? Vanessa Hudgens Cats 1 14-07-08 13:19
Conjunctivitis, my cat and kitten....? McMom Cats 0 14-07-08 12:10
Need to buy: automatic feeder for cat. Wet/dry food + water for 1 week or Mike Cats 2 13-07-08 19:17
Should I leave my cat home alone for 1 week? I don't want to pay the eiroj81 Cats 12 13-07-08 18:23