Help!! Does Advantage for cats really work to kill fleas?

Cats Help!! Does Advantage for cats really work to kill fleas?, Both my cats are indoor cats and they have fleas. I got some Advantage from my vet today and put it on both cats. They say it's supposed to kill ...

19-08-08, 18:32
  Help!! Does Advantage for cats really work to kill fleas?
Both my cats are indoor cats and they have fleas. I got some Advantage from my vet today and put it on both cats. They say it's supposed to kill fleas within 12 hours. Well, it's been five hours so far and my older cat is going nuts. He can't sit still. I check his fur and I still see the fleas running around in there. How long does it take to work and does it really work? I did catch one flea on him and killed it. It wasn't hard to catch and usually they're very fast. Does that mean it's working? I need some reassurance because I don't like to see my animals suffer and this stuff is expensive.
Thanks for all your info. I've been watching him for hours now. Alot of the fleas are dead. I did get a comb and combed through his fur and through the dead fleas into alcohol to make sure that they were dead. He has finally calmed down and is sleeping. He must be exhausted. I also put Advantage on my other cat, but I didn't find any fleas on her, so my house can't be infested. But I will buy the 20-MuleTeam Borax. A co-worker also told me about that. Thanks. I'm just so happy he's calmed down now.

19-08-08, 19:21

It's only been five hours! It can start killing them within twelve but actually a day or two to really get the fleas under control. And yes, it works very well. You've obviously let the flea problem go long enough that the home is infested so it may take a bit longer. You really should treat your animals at the VERY first sign of fleas - they multiply SO quickly!

One thing you can do to help kill the fleas in the carpet (fleas don't tend to live on cats and dogs - they only jump on them to feed) is go to your grocery store and pick up a box of 20 Mule Team Borax - it's found in the laundry aisle. Sprinkle it into your carpets, wait at least 30 mins and then vacuum.

Do you have a flea comb? If not you can find them at any pet stop. Put a little dish soap in your toilet and sit down on the floor with the cat and the flea comb and comb some of the fleas out and drop them in the toilet. As you bring the comb over the toilet put your thumb over the tines of the comb so that any fleas you've captured can't jump right off. The dish soap won't necessarily kill them but the sliminess of it will immobilize them enough for you to comb a bunch of them out and then flush the toilet.

Do you have a dog that goes in and out? Or a friend with pets that doesn't keep them on a flea treatment? A dog or even people's pant legs can carry in fleas so it's not unusual for strictly indoor cats to end up with fleas.
19-08-08, 21:23

the best thing that i have gotten is from the vet i don't remember what its called but its about $10. its a pill that will kill anything that bites. and than you would use the advantage which works really good.
20-08-08, 06:07

Yes, it works, but if you want to speed up the relief for the cat, get a "derbic" comb at a pharmacy, or pet stores also have an equivalent comb with fine teeth that can lift the fleas up where they will either jump off, or where you can grab 'em.

You might want to comb the cats outside or in a garage or someplace other than your living space, carpets and furniture, as fleas will go for you if the cats are no longer desireable.
08-06-09, 22:31
  Re: Help!! Does Advantage for cats really work to kill fleas?
Your informations in this forum is really useful foe me......
I already have one cat. That have good health.
I am going to get new cat. I came to know some useful information from your forum..
Thanks for your information..

Tags
advantage, cats, fleas, kill, work

What do I do if fleas come back a couple of days after giving Advantage to my cat? That one guy. Cats 4 21-08-08 21:25
Can you give a dog Capstar to kill fleas if she already has Frontline Plus on? Chrissy B Want to Give Free Dog 1 18-08-08 16:58
How do I kill fleas that could potentially be in the carpet? Bought a home second D H Want to Buy a Dog 2 09-08-08 03:33