>Kidney disease in cats - when to let them go...?
My cat's blood work has come back with very high levels indicating that her kidneys are not functioning. She has quit eating (despite my attempts) and is only drinking small amounts of fluid. Her body temp. is low and I have her on a heating pad..(on warm). My vet has basically told me that he has only seen 10% of cats recover somewhat from this severe and has given me the option of taking her in and putting her on fluids...or having her put to rest. He does not believe that she will live more that two weeks and trying the fluids would not be a guarantee of recovery. Just looking to see if anyone out there has had to deal with this issue and what was the outcome for you. Thanks for all responses. This is a very difficult time for me and am trying to make the best decision for my beloved pet.
I had two kidney cats. One was caught at 12 years & managed with Sub. Q fluids & diet for 2 years. The other went downhill in two months. You could do the fluids at home, the vet could show you how. The determination I made was when the cat started throwing up it was more then once a day but not yet chronic.Throwing up is part of kidney disease you just have to know how much is too much. The cat that lasted 2 years was force fed a few times & came back around. They can rally for awhile, it depends on how much you can give fluids & blood tests. The end result unfortunately is the same. If you choose to hospitalize her, your vet will know in 2/3 days if any improvement, & you can carry on with it at home. It's really what you can tolerate. Trust your bond & her signals. Even if kitty rallies for a few weeks it can give you time together. Make the decision for the both of you.