READ MORE Is my parakeet dying or just tired from the other bird attacking?

Birds General READ MORE Is my parakeet dying or just tired from the other bird attacking?, Okay, first off, thank you in advance. I've had 2 parakeets since last Christmas. One was from my grandmother who had a couple owners before; so I'm pretty sure that ...

09-06-09, 23:08
  READ MORE Is my parakeet dying or just tired from the other bird attacking?
Okay, first off, thank you in advance. I've had 2 parakeets since last Christmas. One was from my grandmother who had a couple owners before; so I'm pretty sure that this one is over 5 years at least. The other we bought last Christmas from Petco. We think he is considerably younger than the first one. We introduced them properly and after they got used to each other they got along fine. But the last week or two, Jitters (the younger one) has been aggressive towards Freddie (the older one.) I noticed Jitters claiming every perch Freddie went on to and fighting him for it. After this happened I often found Freddie sitting on the bottom of the cage. When I went over, Freddie hopped back onto a perch and Jitters didn't attack him. But when I left, they started fighting again, and Jitters became quite brutal. Freddie usually just retreated. Today, however, I saw Freddie's wing was bleeding. It was minor, and I don't have to take him to the vet for that... But now, they are separated and Freddie is very resigned and fluffed up. He is eating right... basically never stopping, but he is very tired. We didn't have another bird cage, but we are getting one tomorrow... We used a large mesh hermit crab cage which works fine for now. There aren't any perches besides a low lying ladder. Freddie is basically lying in his food bowl; occasionally drifting off. He seems very fatigued. At first this seemed like he was just tired from being abused by Jitters. But, his feathers are mildly poofed up, and he keeps closing his eyes. He isn't sleeping standing up.
Is he just really tired from not being able to get sleep? Is he sick? Or is he just dying from old age? I was wondering if Jitters was attacking him because he knew Freddie was sick.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
also... I think Freddie is shivering a tiny bit. Not sure though.
Freddie's probably more than 5... that was my estimate when my grandma got him... sorry for the confusion. He's probably between 7 and 12
Actually, now that I think about it... he could be between 4 and 12... Haha, not much help age wise.
OKAY maybe Freddie is carrying babies? Maybe he's a she? Just another option.... Does the male get violent when the female is pregnant? I don't know for sure their genders... I was PRETTY positive they were both male due to their cheek colorings. But Jitters part above his beak has become much more purple... and Freddie's is pinker? I have heard these are signs of male/female... Ugh. So confused.

Tags
attacking, bird, dying, parakeet, read, tired

I'm thinking of geting a new bird friend for my budgie bird? Krystal Birds General 1 04-05-09 06:01
I am looking for meaning of a bird dying infront of me and another bird Iris Birds General 0 29-04-09 23:36
How do I know if a pet PARAKEET is dying? read more? Creolegirl Share & Chat 1 08-04-09 18:46
what bird should i get? parakeet? lovebird? ~PUNJABI PRINCESS~ Birds General 0 18-03-09 01:19
what makes a better pet bird a tourqusine parakeet or a budgie? cvbcvb Share & Chat 0 25-02-09 09:01